03 July 2007

justified

I had some time to waste today in the mall while I waited out a huge rainstorm. I wandered into Old Navy, because their window displays had some cute sweaters. I was surprised to see they already had a lot of their fall collection in the store. I headed straight to the trench coat that got me so excited from their tv commercial. It really is nice, it looks even better in person.



It is very soft, well-fit, and a great color. The problem is, do I need it? No. I just couldn't justify buying it right now. It is going to be 90 degrees + for the next 4 months or so, and I don't have any trips planned in the near future. But it is such a classic piece, should I just buy it and save it until someday that I happen to need it? Should it sit in my closet until I take that trip to Paris, who knows when? Luckily, since this is Florida in the middle of summer, the trench probably won't be snatched up immediately and I'll have time to consider it.

This brings up a question: should you ever buy clothes that you don't have an immediate need for? Should we just save our money and know that something similar, or better, is sure to come along? Since I am trying to drastically reform my closet and style, my answers should surely be "no" and "yes"!

No comments: